Recipe for Hachee, Dutch stewing beef.
This is an old dish, dating back to the middle ages. People would use the leftover bits of meat and veggies from other dishes and stew them together until they formed something new. Resourceful and delicious, this meat is great served atop mashed potatoes or just eaten on its own.
|Olive Oil, Butter or Margarine|
|2-3||Large Onions, Peeled and Finely Chopped|
|1 Package||Silvo Hachee Mix|
- Brown the stewing beef in whatever oil or butter you choose.
- Mix in the onions and cook until golden.
- Add the water and Silvo Hachee mix and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and allow to simmer gently for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed.
- Serve over mashed potatoes with a side of red cabbage with apples.