Recipe for Dutch Mustard Soup
Although the name is hardly appealing, this delicious soup is a true Dutch favourite. There are many different recipes, depending on which region of Holland they're coming from.
This recipe is not difficult, and gives you a rich, hearty soup for cold autumn/winter days.
Serve with hot crusty bread, and enjoy!
|1||Onion, Finely Chopped|
|1||Clove of Garlic, Minced|
|3 1/2 tbsp||Butter|
|2 tbsp||Grainy Dutch Mustard|
|1/2 Cup||All Purpose Flour, Sifted|
|4 Cups||Chicken or Vegetable Stock|
|1||Bouillon Cube, Crumbled|
|1/2 Cup||Cream (Whole Milk can also be used)|
|Salt and Pepper (to taste)|
|Chopped Chives (Optional)|
- Fry the bacon until crisp, and drain.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until golden. Stir in the mustard.
- Add the flour and slowly pour in the stock to create a roux, stirring constantly
- Add the bouillon cube and simmer 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream and then season and taste, heating through.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the bacon, and chives, if desired.